Fayette County DFCS Current Needs:
1. Foster and adoptive parents are needed. The number of children going into the foster care system continues to rise in the county. There arent enough foster homes in Fayette County to care for them all. This means many of the children are taken from their familiar environments and significant relationships to be cared for in other counties. Citizens who want to help can help by getting the word out to the community regarding this critical need. You can put up flyers, share information about the foster/adoptive parent process in your meetings, or include information in your bulletins or payroll envelopes. We have flyers and other information for you to post or distribute. We also have small yard signs you could put on your lawn. This sign provides the statewide number for folks to call to get more information. DFCS Staff are available to come to your organization and talk with you about the need. The need is critical. Call 1-877-210-KIDS to find out more.
2. Donations are needed for the foster children Incidental Fund. This fund helps to directly provide for the special needs of the foster children of Fayette County. This fund reimburses our foster parents for items purchased for the children in their care. These items include, but are not limited to: hair cuts and hair care products, birthday gifts, allowance, school field trips, school pictures and yearbooks, prom/dance expenses, registration and uniforms for sports or band, recital fees, Christmas gifts, diapers and baby formula. Gift cards in the denomination of $25.00 to retail or clothing stores are also a good idea, as we often get children into care with no clothes or personal items. Gift cards allow them to immediately get the help they need.
3. Diapers and pull-ups. Our children need diapers and pull-ups, all sizes. We also need wipes and diaper ointment.
4. Children need school clothing. We have a clothing program for school age children who need school clothing. The program is Project A.C.F.A.S.C. or Appropriate Clothing for All School Children. Children are referred by school or DFCS agency staff and are matched with an A.C.F.A.S.C. Partner who agrees to buy clothing for them. New clothes are needed. However, a partner may contribute gently used clothing along with their gift of new clothing. If you dont like to shop, we accept checks and gift cards. This is the only program of its kind in the state of Georgia. There have been 287 referrals since the program began in April 2003. WE NEED MORE PARTNERS!
5. The DFCS Employment Services Program is looking for jobs for our families. Our goal is to help families become more self sufficient, and be able to care for themselves and their children. Please call if you feel you have job possibilities, or for details about this program, 770-460-2555.
6. Our next community project will be holiday assistance. We will be taking requests soon for Thanksgiving Baskets. For help during Christmas, we will be referring families to the Fayette Holiday Helpers. This is a volunteer group and will need sponsors and volunteers during the holidays. Their direct number is 678-817-0004.
If you would like to be on my e-mail list to get the LATEST NEWS about needs of our families and children, call or e-mail today!
For details or more information call Sharon Herbert, Community Resource Specialist, 770-460-2477, or e-mail at email@example.com.