Monday, September 20, 2010

Sponsor a Child Today and Give Hope for a Better Tomorrow

I bet you would be shocked to know that every 30 seconds in the United States, a child is abused. And, that annually, there are over 100,000 abuse cases reported in Georgia alone. Many more children need a safe place to live, free from the threat of abuse in the night, or abandonment in the morning.

Since 1965, The Children’s Village at Christian City has been “home” to over 1,000 abandoned, abused, and neglected children! Christian City is a nonprofit, nondenominational organization that provides these special children a safe haven in a loving, family centered, residential setting. They also provide foster care placement in well qualified homes in the community.

The Children’s Village cares for children both by private placement and from the Department of Family and Children Services. With a focus on family, education and healing, Christian City is known and respected throughout the State of Georgia for providing a program of excellence. We minister to those who are dealing with life crisis, such as the death of a parent, divorce, or sexual, physical, and emotional abuse. The program’s family environment allows children from every background to have access to a traditional family unit and support systems to help mend their wounded spirits. The Children’s Village may be the only home some children ever know.

On a 500 acre campus in Union City, the children live in cottages with full time house parents. Each cottage functions as one big family including daily chores, homework, regular church attendance and traditional sit-down meals. Dedicated house parents are an important component of why the Children’s Village has so many successes in turning broken-spirited, angry or sad children, into productive, successful, good hearted kids. Many of these children grow up to become happy, healthy adults who serve the community as firefighters, school teachers, air line employees, or in the legal field. Sara’s story demonstrates this well:

Sarah’s father was in prison and her mother had the mental capacity of a third grader and was unable to care for her. She spent her adolescent years living at Christian City. Sarah says, “If it weren’t for Christian City, I don’t know where I would be. I came to Christian City at the end of my 6th grade…I was twelve. I had been living in and out of emergency shelters. My house parents treated me as their own child from the first time we ever met. Even if I was hard to get along with, they still loved me. We had a great life and were very connected as a family. My house parents encouraged me in my school work and in extra activities. When I was struggling academically, they hired a tutor. They were always there to help me with my homework, and then later to help me apply for a good college. I recently graduated from Goizueta School of Business and am planning to go to law school. I am where I am today, because of the positive influence of my house parents and of Christian City.”

Christian City has a new focus on fundraising through their Child Sponsorship Program, where you can Sponsor a Child for as little as $30 a month. This is an easy way to support The Children’s Village and is very simply done with a check, debit, or credit card. If you are able to give less than “a buck a day” on a monthly basis, would you please consider Sponsoring a Child Today?

For more information on The Children’s Village at Christian City access www.christiancity.org or call Heidi Becker at 770-703-2636.

No comments: