The Clayton State University Accounting Club’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program will be providing free volunteer tax preparation assistance on Saturday, Mar. 15 and Saturday, Mar. 29. Each session will run from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Clayton State University School of Business’ Conference Room in the University’s Administration Building.
According to Dr. Judith Ogden, associate professor of Accounting in the Clayton State School of Business, VITA is also able to assist individuals who would not normally file a tax return, but receive Social Security benefits or Veterans benefits and are eligible for the recently-passed Economic Stimulus Payment.
“It will be necessary for them to file a tax return in order to receive the rebate. These forms cannot be filed electronically, but we can help these individuals to complete the paper returns which they can then mail in to the IRS,” she says.
Participants in the VITA program, which is held on a first come, first serve basis, will need the following information to have their tax returns prepared:
• Photo identification
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• Birth dates for primary, secondary and dependents on the tax return
• Current year’s tax package, if you received one
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
• Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
• Other relevant information about income and expenses
• Total paid for day care
• Day care providers identifying number
• To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Eligible individuals are those who make under $36,000 a year. VITA only assists with the current year's personal income taxes. VITA does not assist with small business returns or those who are self-employed, or with out-of-state returns.
For further information, call (678) 466-4527.
A unit of the University System of Georgia, Clayton State University is an outstanding comprehensive metropolitan university located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta.
Fayette Front Page
Community News You Can Use
Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone